Monday, July 28, 2014

Rock Out With Your Wok Out

Hello from California! I'm currently enjoying a mid-summer break from the DC heat here at my parents' house, where I can actually go outside without immediately turning into a sweaty mess. As I've already shared, I have an undying obsession with both chickpeas and eggplants, so this week I've combined this with my family's love of spicy food to make this magical Eggplant Curry with Chickpeas.


People. This is some seriously good curry, and I've eaten my fair share of curries so I feel like I can speak with some authority on this matter. The veggies are tender, the sauce is thick and smooth, and the blend of spices makes your kitchen smell unbelievable as this dish is simmering away. This recipe also contains 0% bullshit - it's packed with delicious, healthy whole foods that you'll feel good about eating.

I'm planning on making this for a dinner party in the very near future - the beautiful golden color and well-balanced flavors just beg to be shared! This recipe does involve a fair bit of chopping - enlist a friend or be sure to start cooking early so that you don't end up hangry before it's ready to devour!


Eggplant Curry with Chickpeas
Adapted from Heather's ridiculously beautiful blog, The Flourishing Foodie

Serves 4

½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
1 medium eggplant, diced and salted (click here if you need a refresher!)
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground coriander
1 can of chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
1 cup diced tomatoes
½ cup chopped bell pepper
1 can of coconut milk
olive oil, to coat your wok

Prep all your veggies first! My MO is normally to chop while I cook, but with this dish that'll be a recipe for burnt curry and/or a visit to the ER. Plus the ingredients all look so pretty sitting in their little bowls.


In a wok or a deep saucepan, heat the olive oil over a medium flame, then toss in the mustard and cumin seeds. Stir them around in the hot oil until they start to crackle and pop - that's the sound of them releasing their delicious spicy flavors! Add the eggplant, onion, garlic, and ginger, and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the eggplant is a bit soft on the outside but still pretty firm in the center.


Mix your chili powder, turmeric, cumin, and coriander with a just enough water to make a watery paste. Don't stress out, just eyeball this - if you add too much water, it'll cook off anyway! Pour the spice mixture into your wok, along with the chickpeas, and stir to evenly distribute throughout your veggies.


Once everything is a lovely shade of reddish-gold, throw your tomatoes and bell pepper into the curry and top it off with the coconut milk. Lower the heat and cook, stirring every couple of minutes, until the liquid starts to bubble and thicken. That's it, you're done! Sprinkle some cilantro and green onions on top if you're feeling fancy, then serve with rice or hot naan bread.

3 comments:

  1. From a "straight-but-not-narrow omnivore": excellent, I can't believe it's a vegan dish (i.e. no meat or sea food)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I miss that kitchen!! And this looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this last summer and just remembered how good it was so I came back to it today! Mmm

    ReplyDelete